A recipe for frosting made especially for brownies. Rich, chocolate flavor, just the right amount, and easy to make.
Frosting for Brownies
I find frosted brownies ridiculously delicious. It’s like cake, but better, and I’m pretty particular about my baked goods.
Frosted brownies pairs fudgy, rich brownies with that delicious stuff typically reserved for cake and cupcakes: frosting!
What makes a good frosting for brownies?
• The frosting is chocolatey and smooth.
• A delicate crust forms on top of the soft frosting as it sets.
• It’s complimentary to the brownies and neither overpowers the other.
Find more frosted brownies here: Think Outside Of The Box Brownies
Even though chocolate on chocolate is divine, here are other frostings that I like and would be delicious for brownies:
Making Creamy Brownie Frosting
You only need a few ingredients to make frosting for brownies. Most likely you already have them in the pantry.
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Vanilla extract
Melting the cocoa with the butter activates the chocolate flavor and makes the frosting really smooth.
I like to let the melted butter mixture cool a bit before mixing the frosting. I find this helps make the frosting lighter and a bit fluffy. It pairs perfectly with fudgy brownies.
Vanilla extract balances the sweet flavors and compliments all the ingredients.
Is brownie frosting different than cake frosting?
You could use this frosting on cake, cookies or cupcakes. It’s really not different.
I have made the recipe to make just the right amount to cover a 9-by-13-inch pan of brownies with the perfect thickness of frosting. That is about the only difference!
I have a few folks in my family who think brownies without nuts are a sin. Add nuts! You can sprinkle nuts on top of the frosting before it sets. This way you can add nuts to just half the pan if you have a mixed crowd!
Use pecans or walnuts for a classic flavor. Chop them coarsely for extra crunch.
The Best Brownie Frosting Recipe
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large heatproof bowl, microwave the butter and cocoa powder until butter is melted. Beat together with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla and milk and stir.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and stir, slowly at first, until incorporated; then beat on medium speed until frosting is smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. use immediately on cooled brownies, or store, covered at room temperature, for up to a day.
The best frosting recipes to make
- Extra Rich Milk Chocolate Frosting
- Best Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Party & Birthday Cupcakes
- Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies: Almond Ginger Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- No-Bake Cookies for Halloween – Easy Graham Cracker Sandwiches with Sprinkles
- Lemon Lover’s Layer Cake
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- The Best Frosting For Cookies
Recipe & Photography Tara Teaspoon. 6/19