These are impressive bombs. You put them on the table and BOOM! Everyone is instantly impressed.
With piles of delicious buttercream, and loads of Halloween candy, you can't go wrong. Make them ahead too! This meringue buttercream holds really well.
*One little hint: if you're not a huge frosting fan, first, don't tell anyone 'cause you're crazy, then, top each cupcake with half of a donut hole, and frost over the top. It will create the giant mound that will hold the candy, without the solid frosting situation.
Crazy For Candy Cupcakes
- 1 recipe Meringue Buttercream
- Orange gel paste food coloring
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate melted and cooled
- 24 prepared chocolate cupcakes
- 3 cups candy corn pieces
- 6 cups malted milk balls
- Tint half of the buttercream orange. Stir melted chocolate into the rest of the buttercream until incorporated.
- Use a ¼-cup spring-loaded cookie scoop to place a small mound of buttercream on each of the cupcakes. (If you don't have a scoop, mound and smooth ¼ cup buttercream on each cupcake.) Decorate the orange-frosted cupcakes with candy corn, placing candy very close together. Use Malted milk balls to decorate the chocolate frosted cupcakes. Chill cupcakes in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Spooky & Fun Halloween Recipes
- Homemade Halloween Treats
- Halloween Spiderweb Caramel Apples
- Pumpkin Marshmallows on Cupcakes
- Halloween Monster Chicken Sliders
- Polka Dot Halloween Cupcakes
- Eerie Eyeball Cake For Halloween• Tara Teaspoon
Recipes by Tara Bench. Original published in LHJ, Oct 2013. Photography William Brinson. Prop Styling Michelle Wong. Food Styling Christine Albano