Rich caramelized onions, Gruyere cheese, and pickled pomegranate arils cozy up together inside a flaky phyllo tartlet shell to create the most delicious handheld appetizer. These French onion phyllo cups are the perfect bite.
This is one of the best phyllo cup recipes you'll ever make. It's like the best French Onion Soup you've ever had, coupled with juicy, tangy pomegranate arils.
As far as individual appetizers go, this one is so darn easy! It's semi-homemade since you'll use store-bought phyllo cups, and the prep is pretty simple.
French Onion Soup Bites
French onion soup is one of my very favorite entrees, so I knew that I had to make it into a yummy appetizer! These tartlets are little french onion soup bites that pack all of the rich flavor of caramelized onions in just one savory mouthful.
All of that flavor comes from caramelizing the onions in pomegranate juice. Wondering how to caramelize onions properly? All it takes is a little patience. Cook them low and slow until they're golden and delicious.
Individual appetizer ideas for your crowd
Massive charcuterie and snack boards are beautiful, and big bowls of chips and dip are so yummy, but little mini appetizers are just so lovely!
I love serving bite-sized, individual appetizers. Everyone gets their own little portions. If you love these tartlets, you'll love my other handheld recipes:
- Toasts with Sweet Potato Spread
- Ham and Gruyere Mini Turnovers (makes a great side to soup too)
- Caper Herb and Corn Muffins with Smoked Salmon
- Beet and Cheese Tarts
Phyllo cup recipes make entertaining easy
One of the easiest and most convenient way to make appetizers is to use a premade phyllo cup.
Phyllo is a paper-thin, unleavened pastry, that you can stack to form crisp layers. It's the same pastry used for baklava!
It's really hard to make, so most people just buy premade phyllo. And phyllo shells or cups are even more convenient. You don't have to layer the dough or cut it and form it into cups.
They're so flaky, crispy, and so delicious! If you're looking for what to do with these perfect little food vehicles, these French onion phyllo cups are a great place to start. You can find phyllo cups at your local grocery store.
The Best French Appetizers
One of the best French appetizers to serve for a crowd is a tart. A tart, or tarte, is a classic French pastry made with a delicate shortcrust and filled with sweet or savory fillings.
I love a good tart and have quite a few recipes on my blog. Here are a few of my favorites:
French Onion Phyllo Cups: Tartlets with Gruyere and Pomegranates
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pounds (10 cups) thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 tbsps POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 30 (2 pkgs) store-bought phyllo pastry cups
- 3 ounces grated Gruyère Cheese
Pickled Pomegranate Arils
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds lightly crushed
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ½ cup POM POMS Fresh Pomegranate Arils
- In a large sauté pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions and salt. Cook, stirring, until onions are translucent and just starting to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low, add pomegranate juice and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are golden and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Stir in thyme leaves and remove from heat to cool.
- While onions are cooking, combine the vinegar, the coriander seeds, thyme and salt in a microwave-proof bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir in pomegranate arils and allow to pickle at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place phyllo cups on a baking sheet. Fill each cup with a teaspoon of grated Gruyere. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes until cups are browned and cheese has melted.
- Strain pickled pomegranates. Top tartlets with a teaspoon of caramelized onion and pickled pomegranates. Garnish with thyme and serve warm.
Appetizers, Nibble and Finger Foods
Written by Lindsay Steele
Photography by Ty Mecham, courtesy of POM Wonderful