Miso glazed carrots are as irresistible as candy and are a delicious side dish with pomegranates. White miso, ruby-red pomegranate juice, and sesame transform carrots into a caramelized, umami sensation.
The ultimate side dish! This roasted carrots recipe is just what the season ordered. Root veggies caramelized in the oven are just the thing for cool evenings. Topped with pomegranates they are the season's bounty.
Some of my favorite veggie side dishes include carrots. Check them out!
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots perfect for Easter
- Carrot and Potato Gratin special enough for Christmas
- Shredded Carrot Salad with Apples and Lime
- Roasted Vegetable Trio with Orange and Thyme
Tricolor miso roasted carrots
This miso glazed vegetable recipe is made gorgeous by using tricolor carrots. Of course you can use classic orange carrots and it will still be delicious.
Tricolor carrots are easy to find at most grocery stores. And they hold their color when cooked.
White, purple, and yellow carrots are just so beautiful. All the colors of fall. They even have a slightly different flavor. Subtle differences add to the complexity of the dish with the salty miso, which adds an umami flavor.
What is miso?
Miso is fermented soybean paste. You'll find red and white miso. I use white miso in thise recipe because it has a nice mild flavor.
White miso gives any recipe a mellow umami flavor. Read more about umami in my Black Sesame Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe (I use soy sauce!).
Add pomegranate to miso glazed carrots
Miso glazed whole roasted carrots get tossed in a mixture of tangy pomegranate juice and miso with a splash of sesame oil.
Adding pomegranate makes for delightful flavor and adds sweetness to the savory glaze. The pure juice is a deep red color, and creates a nice caramelized color on the carrots.
As the carrots roast the flavors of miso, sesame and pomegranate reduce and intensify. So good!!
I love using pomegranates in my cooking. Try some of my other pomegranate recipes!
- Butternut Squash and Kale side dish with pomegranate
- Holiday Ham recipe with pomegranate
- Moroccan Shrimp with Pomegranate Sauce
- Jeweled Rice with Pomegranates
How to serve pomegranate and miso glazed carrots
Serve these miso roasted carrots hot from the oven or room temperature. They will be delicious either way.
Serve them on a buffet of vegetarian dishes as part of a vegan or vegetarian menu, or serve on the side of a roast, prime rib, ham, or turkey. Simple grilled chicken, or roast chicken, will be thrilled with these on the side.
Here's what you'll need to make these miso carrots
You need the simplest of ingredients for this recipe:
- 2 pounds tricolor or classic carrots
- 5 tablespoons of white miso ( or light miso )
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- A garnish of cilantro, pomegranate arils, and sesame seeds
Pomegranate and Sesame Miso Glazed Carrots
- 4 tbsps Pomegranate Juice
- 5 tbsps light miso or white miso
- 2 tbsps toasted sesame oil
- 2 pounds tricolor carrots peeled, large carrots cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup Pomegranate arils
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil. Heat oven to 425ºF.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, stir together the pomegranate juice, miso, and sesame oil. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange carrots in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with sauce and toss to coat.
- Roast carrots until caramelized and tender, turning them with tongs halfway through, about 30 minutes total.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Delicious Sides To Go With Ham Dinner
- Skillet Green Beans with Charred Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Beet and Roasted Carrot Salad with Kale, Spicy Pecans and Goat Cheese
- Shortcut Potato Cheese Casserole
- Stunning Cheese and Herb Potato Gratin
- Roasted Broccoli with Sumac and Dried Fruit
Photos by Ty Mecham.