Shredded Carrot Salad with Apple and Lime has a touch of honey, and poppy green parsley to make for a fresh, healthy side dish.
I was introduced to shredded carrot salad when I worked at Martha Stewart. Most days in the test kitchen, everyone would just pull out any extra ingredients they weren't using for recipe testing, and make something for lunch. We would all share what we made in a work-pot-luck sort of way, to make some kind of lunch. (Truth be told there was always opportunity for constant eating in the test kitchen, so we didn't go hungry!!).
One day, with a lack of greens in the fridges for a fresh salad, my coworker pulled out some carrots and whipped up a quick salad with a splash of lime and olive oil. She added some golden raisins for sweetness and a handful of chopped parsley.
I loved it!! It was sweet, acidic, healthy and crunchy. It became my go-to fresh bite when there wasn't much in the kitchen (or at home in my own fridge). I always seem to have half a bag of carrots in the drawer!
I've made it with a lemon dressing or lime. Whatever I have around. I add raisins, currents, or other dried fruit for a little chew and sweetness. For this version I wanted a less sweet pop and some added crunch so I used fresh apple. I love the flavor combo.
Your dinner will be happier with a side of shredded carrot salad with crunchy apple and fresh lime!
A little honey and salt balance out the dressing and bring the flavors out. Parsley adds a salad-y punch of green, but I've also tried it with cilantro or chopped arugula and it works.
For shredding these grand carrots, I simply use a box grater. I like this one from Oxo. I like that the grating holes are close together (and the little catch-all box is a good bonus)
If you're making a larger batch you can also whirl them up on a food processor with the grating attachment.
This pairs so well with most dinners! A little grilled chicken, or any protein. A sandwich, and even soup are happier with a side of shredded carrot salad. I've even thrown a big spoonful into a green salad and tossed it all together. Delish!
Tell me what you serve this quick dish with.
Shredded Carrot Salad with Apple and Lime
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1½ tsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb carrots peeled, trimmed and shredded
- ½ tart green apple cored and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- For dressing, in a medium bowl, whisk together juice, hone and salt. Drizzle in oil, whisking constantly, until combined well; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine carrot, apple and parsley. Toss with dressing and serve.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Delicious Sides To Go With Ham Dinner
- Skillet Green Beans with Charred Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Beet and Roasted Carrot Salad with Kale, Spicy Pecans and Goat Cheese
- Miso Glazed Carrots with Sesame and Pomegranate
- Shortcut Potato Cheese Casserole
- Stunning Cheese and Herb Potato Gratin
- Roasted Broccoli with Sumac and Dried Fruit
Roasted Vegetable Trio with Orange-Thyme Dressing is a delicious mix of seasonal veggies. Great with any meal.
Making mashed potatoes? Try one of my 4 Amazing Mashed Potato Mix Ins!