This post has been updated from the original with new tips and delicious information.
A homemade chocolate frosting recipe with a silky, smooth chocolate taste. This Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is easy to make, but hard to beat!
If you like cream cheese frosting (and let's be honest, we all do!), you will love this chocolate version. It works perfectly on sheet cake and cupcakes, even right out of the spoon.
Delicious chocolate cream cheese frosting
Raise your hand if you like cream cheese frosting!
(Please tell me I'm not the only one with both hands raised)
This is the chocolate, luscious, delicious, elegant, perfect version of cream cheese frosting. I get the best of both worlds with this bakery style frosting. It's rich, has great flavor, and looks beautiful swirled on a cake.
Cream cheese makes a basic chocolate frosting even better by adding mouth-feel. That's the sensation you FEEL in your mouth when you eat something delicious. Cream cheese creates a velvety texture in frosting so it lingers on your tastebuds just a second longer.
Similar to my simple cream cheese frosting, this one is easy to make and goes with a lot of different things.
What frosting goes best with chocolate cake?
This chocolate version of cream cheese frosting goes splendidly with chocolate cake!
It's a not too sweet chocolate frosting that pairs with yellow cake, chocolate cake and red velvet cake (that red cake that is just a vehicle for cream cheese frosting). Oh and cupcakes.
Also, excellent on graham crackers, and your finger.
Use these tools to make this chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe:
It's important to use cream cheese that has been softened. When making frosting with cream cheese, if it is cold, you have a higher chance of ending up with un-mixed lumps of it in your mixture.
Softened cream cheese mixes well with the butter to cream a uniform base for this chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe.
To soften cream cheese, let it sit at room temperature for several hours. Alternately you can unwrap it from the foil and put it on a microwave safe plate. Heat in 10 second increments until just soft, but not melting or warm.
Homemade frosting is the best. Try my other great recipes:
Delicious Fluffy Chocolate Frosting.
The very best Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.
And learn how to make Caramel Frosting.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup unsalted butter 1½ sticks, softened
- 1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz) softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa sifted
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar 4 cups
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoon milk
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together until creamy and lightened in texture, about 2 min. Stir in cocoa. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well. Beat in vanilla extract and enough milk to get the consistency you desire. Stir until smooth.
- Can be refrigerated up to one week; bring to room temperature and stir before using.
The best frosting recipes to make
- Extra Rich Milk Chocolate Frosting
- Best Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
- Party & Birthday Cupcakes
- Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies: Almond Ginger Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- No-Bake Cookies for Halloween - Easy Graham Cracker Sandwiches with Sprinkles
- Lemon Lover's Layer Cake
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- The Best Frosting For Cookies
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon. Photography by Ty Mecham.