Simple roasted honey glazed carrots with a hint of rosemary make a delightful side dish. They are easy to make in the oven and can be made with baby carrots, whole carrots, or cut carrots.
Making Glazed Roasted Carrots
Making a carrot side dish in the oven is totally hands off and makes the carrots extra sweet and delicious.
This glazed carrot recipe is different than some because I put the honey glaze on after roasting.
Roasting is dry oven heat, and that nice heat caramelized veggies in the oven. If there was too much added sugar (or honey) on the carrots it would have a tendency to burn instead of caramelize.
So making glazed roasted carrots is as simple as making plain roasted carrots, then you drizzle the honey on at the end. I added rosemary and garlic for delicious flavor.
Glazed Carrots in Oven
Most of my carrot side dish recipes like Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots, are made on the stovetop. This recipe uses the dry heat of the oven to soften and caramelize the veggies.
There are a few tips for success when making oven glazed carrots, and one is the temperature. I like to use a high heat at 400ºF.
Carrots tenderize fairly quickly and so the high heat ensures the carrots get a little color before they are done cooking. The result is a toothsome but tender bite with lots of caramelized flavor.
Be sure to cut the carrots in even-sized pieces, used bagged baby carrots, or similar-sized whole carrots for this recipe. That way you can adjust your cooking time for the size and shape.
What kind of carrots to use?
Oven glazed carrots can be made with any shape or size of carrot. You can even use tri-color carrots for a fun presentation.
You can use baby carrots from a bag, French baby carrots that have the little bit of green stem on the top, standard bagged carrots or carrots from a fresh bunch.
Baby carrots and French baby carrots don't need to be cut. Just use them as is and toss them with the flavorful ingredients and roast.
Standard bagged carrots can be cut into medium sticks (like I did), or medallions or slices on the bias.
You can also leave bunched carrots whole. They are usually slim and even sized. I cut the greens off, leaving just a little stem for presentation, then scrub any dirt from the greens.
Cooking time for roasted carrots
Roast honey glazed carrots until they are just browned in parts and tender. For large sticks like I did, you'll roast them for 25 to 30 minutes. Then toss on the honey glaze.
Baby carrots and cut medallions may cook faster, so check them at 20 or 25 minutes.
Whole carrots may take 35 to 40 minutes.
Rosemary Glazed Carrots Ingredients
The list is simple, and if you have rosemary you probably have everything else you need. Simple enough for a weeknight dinner side dish, but delicious enough for a holiday meal.
- Olive oil
Glazed Roasted Carrots FAQs
Yes, you can use a teaspoon of dried rosemary in place of the fresh rosemary. The flavor won't be as intense, but you will still get a nice herb essence.
I suggest making these carrots just before serving for the best taste and texture. However, leftovers can be reheated in foil in the oven, or in the microwave and taste delicious the next day, or cold over a salad.
The honey glaze is added after the roasted carrots come out of the oven. If the honey was added at the beginning the sugars would burn in the hot oven. The honey glaze flavors the carrots perfectly after they are cooked.
More Carrot Side Dishes
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Miso Glazed Carrots with Pomegranate
- Roasted Carrots with Kale, Spicy Pecans and Goat Cheese
- Shredded Carrot Salad with Lime
- Roasted Vegetable Trio with Orange Thyme Dressing
Let me know how it went!
Scroll to the bottom of the page to rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and comment on this recipe. Leaving comments helps other too!
Rosemary Honey Roasted Carrots
- 1½ pounds carrots peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Leave carrots whole, or cut into sticks or rounds.
- In a large bowl toss carrots with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet or in a large roaster, and roast until carrots are tender and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle carrots with honey. Toss to coat. Serve carrots garnished with extra rosemary if desired.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Sweet and Super Moist Gluten-Free Cornbread
- Best Panzanella Salad Recipe with Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Super Soft Classic Dinner Rolls
- Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese with Breadcrumbs
- Delicious Easy Side Dishes for Ham Dinner
- Browned Butter Green Beans with Almonds
- The Best Easter Dinner Sides
About Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes & food-styling for magazines, books, television & advertising. Order my new cookbook & stick around for amazing things to eat.
Let us know how it went!