Chocolate and Vanilla Cream Pie is the best of both worlds. No need to battle it out, this black bottom cream pie is for the entire crowd.
It's pie season! It's really always pie season in my book. And that usually brings out all the pie opinions from Thanksgiving to spring and into summer.
Cream pie recipe from scratch
If you are looking for a vanilla cream pie recipe, or even a chocolate cream pie recipe, I have a two for one here!
In my opinion a cream pie has always got to be in the mix if you're making a few pies. Now whether that's a chocolate, vanilla, coconut, banana cream pie or butterscotch, that is always up for debate.
I just decided to put two together and make the ultimate cream pie!
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Creamy Black Beans
- Homemade Soft and Sweet Cornbread
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- Nachos for a Party Crowd
- 7 Layer Dip
Classic cream pie
My standard chocolate cream pie is a take on my mom's classic. It's a milk chocolate version that melts in your mouth. I didn't use this simple recipe for the base of this black bottom cream pie.
For this combo experiment I wanted to really punch up the chocolate. I made the chocolate custard extra chocolaty with the addition of bittersweet chocolate. I wanted the chocolate flavor to comes through strong and delicious next to the vanilla.
The vanilla custard is a glorious combo of homemade pudding ingredients, heated together to silken bliss.
Why have just one when you can have two? Black Bottom Chocolate Cream Pie is a two-fer!
I wasn't shy when it came to this pie. It's loaded with eggs and cream and everything nice.
I use vanilla extract in the chocolate pudding filling as well as the vanilla.
Don't think it's too much trouble either. This double combo is hardly more work than just making one filling. The custards come together in a flash.
Piled high with clouds of real whipped cream, this pie is the perfect ending to any meal! Use your favorite crust or my Perfect Pie Crust recipe.
What tools you need to make a custard pie:
• A pastry blender for making pie crust.
• A heavy duty saucepan to make custard.
• Flat whisk for mixing the custard nice and smooth.
• A sturdy pie tin or dish.
Make this delicious cream pie with vanilla and chocolate custards.
Black Bottom Cream Pie
- 1 single crust of Perfect Piecrust prebaked in a 9-inch pie plate
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3½ cups half-and-half
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls for garnish optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together ½ cup sugar, cocoa, ¼ cup cornstarch and 1¾ cups half-and-half. Place over medium-high heat and stir until sugar is just dissolved, about 2 min. Whisk in 4 egg yolks; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and just boils, about 5 min. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and 1 tsp vanilla. Place pan in a bowl of ice and water and stir occasionally until custard cools.
- Remove from ice bath, dry pan bottom and transfer custard to prepared crust. Cover with plastic wrap, gently pressing wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate.
- In another heavy saucepan, stir together ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup cornstarch and 1¾ cups half-and-half. Place over medium-high heat and stir 2 min. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in 4 egg yolks. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and just boils, about 5 min. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp vanilla and butter. Cool custard as above over an ice bath, then spoon on top of chocolate filling and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hrs.
- Whip cream and confectioners' sugar until firm peaks form and spread onto chilled pie. Garnish with chocolate curls or shavings if desired.
More Pies and Tarts
Delicious Pie and Tart Recipes
Recipe by: TaraTeaspooon. Food Stylist: Sara Neumeier. Originally published LHJ 11/09. Prop Stylist: Megan Hedgpeth